Prep time: 15 min.
Baking time: 25 min.
Ready in: 40 min.
Yields: 12 cupcakes
Cardamom Cupcakes (Cake Yazdi)
2 large eggs
1 ¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup plain yogurt
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour (I used half unbleached flour)
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
? teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds, crushed
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons rose water
½ cup canola oil
Sesame seeds, ground pistachio, slivered almonds for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add crushed cardamom seeds and orange zest. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract. With an electric mixer, beat the mixture until it turns light and the batter doubles in volume.
4. Turn off the electric mixer. Add yogurt and mix well with a spatula.
5. Fold in the flour mixture with the spatula until the flour has disappeared. Make sure to scrape the sides and the bottom of the bowl as you go.
6. Add the oil and rose water. Stir until mixed completely.
7. Fill the muffin liners with the cake batter. Dip the tip of a knife or spoon in a bit of oil and create plus signs in the center of the cupcakes. This will crack the top of the cupcakes nicely. Drizzle your choice of garnish on top. Place the muffin tin on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
8. Remove the tin from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool before serving.
The heavenly smell of cardamom combined with rosewater makes these cupcakes an absolute delight to be enjoyed with a hot cup of tea. Noosh-e j?n!